Miranda House was founded by the University vice-chancellor, Sir Maurice Gwyer in 1948. The stone for its foundation was laid by Lady Edwina Mountbatten. Miranda House is built of red bricks and is located in the university campus. Its original design was planned by the architect Walter Sykes George and is architecturally similar to other educational institutions in India founded in the colonial era. As the college grew, several buildings were added. Alumni and students of this college are known as Mirandians.
Miranda House provides liberal education in social sciences, humanities and the basic sciences. The college’s infrastructure includes teaching laboratories and general facilities to cater to more than 3,000 students.
The department organizes fresher competitions in cross-country races, basketball and table tennis. The school also provides special coaching for basketball, chess, cross-country race, softball, tennis, table tennis, track and field, volleyball and other games like cricket as per students interests. College teams participate in inter-college and open tournaments and a number of them are selected to represent Delhi in the All India Inter University competitions and national-level competitions.
Aditi Phadnis (Political journalist)
Anita Desai (author)